Through its modern composite materials laboratory, CENER provides assessment and characterisation services for new blade materials, comprising:
- Chemical properties.
- Physical properties: Mechanical properties, viscosity, thermal conductivity, etc.
- Cost and processability requirements.
- Resin rheokinetics
Support activities are also provided for the blade manufacturing process through:
- Optimised parameterisation of existing processes: VARI, prepregs, etc.
- Modification or definition of processes to reduce manufacturing times and improve both product quality and reliability.
- Selection of the most adequate materials for each product and process.
- Cost and productivity assessment.
To this end, CENER has the following tools:
- Experimental characterisation of resin rheokinetics.
- Experimental permeability characterisation of reinforcements.
- Numerical simulation of mould filling processes.
A 3D simulation program that makes use of empirically adjusted models has been developed at CENER to model the resin flows in full-size blade moulds to improve their designs.
- DSC: Cure kinetics, Cp measurements.
- DMA: Tg measurements, modulus measurements, elastic/viscoelastic behaviour.
- Brookfield: Viscosity and evolution during curing.
- Gel time: Measurements in thermosetting resins.
- Optical microscope with image software: Porosity measurements, layer thickness, fibre alignment.
- Fatigue test machine 250 KN: Fatigue tests.
- Static test machine 600 KN: Tensile, compressive, 3 & 4-point bending tests.
- Large work area to test subcomponents: 300 KN load cell to test adhesives, resins or coats.
- Determination of FVF and void contents.
- Density measurements.